I was asked by someone considering applying for the ALA Emerging Leader program what my advice was for the application and personal statement. I’m also on the EL Sub-committee (though I don’t do anything related to applications, reviews, etc.), so I didn’t get in to a lot of detail with my advice. However, I still think what I said holds true and while it might seem obvious to some, focuses on things folks in our profession sometimes forget about:
- Explain what made you want to become a librarian in the first place
- Describe your short and long term goals
- Be honest and don’t be afraid to show why you love being a librarian/library professional
- Tell about your past successes – don’t be modest
- If you see an unfulfilled need within ALA or within the profession, describe how you’d attempt to fill that gap
So, now you know! Stay cool folks!